Completed Wrap Dress from Tablecloth

Repurposing, Sewing

Huzzah!

P1040390 - Copy

Ties attached, neckline/wrap part finished in bias tape made from the tablecloth scraps, I needed a way to get the inner tie to the outside so I could make a nice bow. I used a welt seam to channel the tie through to the outside. It required some bias tape, and I had a little bit of the bias tape from the neck edge. Now, there’s only about half a yard remaining of that bias tape, so it’ll probably be a finishing piece on some little project or another some day.

My mistake was forgetting to mirror everything while working with the dress on the dress form, so now the dress opens to the right rather than the left as women’s clothing is supposed to, but it’s not really a big deal. I’ll be wearing this around the house for now, anyways, so nobody will know enough to notice.

P1040411 - Copy

I drafted the sleeve pattern in the style of a tulip sleeve because I think it repeated the idea of the wrap front nicely for the sleeves.

P1040374 - Copy

Cut two per sleeve. Make sure to mark the top part that meets the top of shoulder seam! The sleeves were also edged in self bias tape.

All of the tiny little scraps from this project -there must be about a square foot and a half of them all added together- are saved in a labelled bag just in case I ever need to repair this dress, since the fabric has already been well-loved before I made the dress.

P1040421 - Copy

With the sleeves attached and all the edges finished, the dress is done! This was a fun learning experience and I think I’ll enjoy this as a warmer weather house-dress for now. I love how the floral with green looks, especially on the back!

Previous posts on this dress: First Second

For more about the process, see my portfolio page.

 

Drafting a Wrap Dress on a Dress Form

Sewing

I have a couple pieces of fabric that I’d like to make into spring dresses now that the weather is pleasant and I have the time to make something. The first is a hand-me-down tablecloth in a beautiful faded kelly green with some kind of blossom design on it. The fabric is rather thick and the pattern is large, so I need to keep this in mind with my design. An ideal dress for this tablecloth is one that does not require too many tucks or seams so that I can enjoy the lovely huge blossoms.

Here was my first attempt at making a bodice. I went with a more simple version with a single dart from the bust to the arm, but I am still proud of how this version looks. It just didn’t quite work with the fabric I have available. I’m saving it just in case I have a use for it in the future.

P1040353 - Copy

Here is the skirt of the wrap: a simple A-line. If I had to go back and redo it, I would add more width to the hip, however, I just didn’t have the fabric.

This work-in-progress shows the bodice design that I went with. Most of the fabric in the bodice is untouched to show off the beauty of the material I’m working with. The fabric is, of course, turned inside-out. I’ll show off the tablecloth-turned-dress soon!

This project is a part of my Fabric Stash Use-Up 2020 Project.