I used the selvedge and hem of the existing tablecloth to my advantage for this dress. No need to hem it when the edges are already finished!
In the above images, the main pieces of the dress are put together but the details still need to be done. The arms, the neckline, and the ties all remain incomplete. Still, you can get an idea of how it will look!
Finishing the neckline edge
I’m so excited for this wrap dress.
I have a couple pieces of fabric that I’d like to make into spring dresses now that the weather is pleasant and I have the time to make something. The first is a hand-me-down tablecloth in a beautiful faded kelly green with some kind of blossom design on it. The fabric is rather thick and the pattern is large, so I need to keep this in mind with my design. An ideal dress for this tablecloth is one that does not require too many tucks or seams so that I can enjoy the lovely huge blossoms.
Here was my first attempt at making a bodice. I went with a more simple version with a single dart from the bust to the arm, but I am still proud of how this version looks. It just didn’t quite work with the fabric I have available. I’m saving it just in case I have a use for it in the future.
Here is the skirt of the wrap: a simple A-line. If I had to go back and redo it, I would add more width to the hip, however, I just didn’t have the fabric.
This work-in-progress shows the bodice design that I went with. Most of the fabric in the bodice is untouched to show off the beauty of the material I’m working with. The fabric is, of course, turned inside-out. I’ll show off the tablecloth-turned-dress soon!
This project is a part of my Fabric Stash Use-Up 2020 Project.