DIY 1700s Bonnet: My Observations

Sewing

Here are my first attempts at 1700s bonnets/headwear. I got inspiration from the right-hand column of this DIY tutorial, however, I didn’t realize that I could click the image to zoom into the image, so I drafted the pattern totally by hand and without referencing their helpful measurements! (That was silly.)

This project was comprised of drafting a bonnet bag and two brim styles, since I couldn’t decide which one I wanted to make. The brim has interfacing to keep its shape.

If I were to do this again, I’d definitely want to mark top center on both pieces of the pattern and cloth cut-out so that I knew for sure I was gathering evenly, as that was an issue I ran into. Other than that, it was a very simple and fun pattern and project: good project for smaller pieces of fabric and good for using up remnants. I enjoy making these, and I think I will continue making similar headwear in the future. Our ancestors had such a practical way to keep your hair clean!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s