I planted these bleeding hearts from some bare roots in February. Not only did they survive, they bloomed!
I am drafting a 1700s style cap from scratch. Here is the first draft, done in a green cotton I had lying around. This is a learning piece for my Use Up My Fabric Stash 2019 project.
There are definitely some improvements that I want to make to this pattern: I want to make the top of the brim wider, draft a thinner band option, and I want to settle on a way to handle gathering the back of the cap. This is a good first step, though.
I love bee balm, and I love encouraging pollinators to visit my flower and vegetable garden (and increase my harvest, hopefully!) This year, I’ve started some bee balm seeds from Baker Creek (Bee Balm – Spielarten Mix) in hopes of bringing this pretty perennial into my garden once more.
In early Spring 2019, I decided to start the new growing season off right with a light, comfortable calico dress made of a comfortable late 80s/90s pattern.
Material: 100% Cotton Calico, preshrunk & ironed
Pattern: New Look 6556 from ebay. I wanted the skirt from view 1, but the top without the cuffs from view 2.
Willow, wild violets, and sycamore in the golden evening light
This petticoat is made from an upcycled poly-cotton fitted sheet. There’s some fading on the fabric, but nothing too noticeable. I covered up a marred spot with a patch. Conveniently, I was able to use the selvage as the hem of the skirt. The material is very thin and light, giving a delicate look. It is photographed over my 1700s style hip pads.
…and it’s beautiful!
Here are my first attempts at 1700s bonnets/headwear. I got inspiration from the right-hand column of this DIY tutorial, however, I didn’t realize that I could click the image to zoom into the image, so I drafted the pattern totally by hand and without referencing their helpful measurements! (That was silly.)