These bean-shaped hip pads of upcycled white cotton from an old pillowcase (I have too many hand-me-down pillowcases to use them all) and stuffed with cotton batting scraps are attached to a tape to tie around the waist. These are the second thing I’ve made for my use-up fabric stash 2019 project. I made 3 pairs of these hip pads.
I feel that these are a better option than panniers of metal and cord for my costume wardrobe, as they store easier and they seem more practical, like clothing the common woman would wear. I personally am more interested in regular people historical clothes than the super fancy garb of royalty, though those garments are lovely, too, of course.
I am glad to see so many of them survived the trampling during repairs last fall. They have the brightest green leaves.
Despite being near the wood-chopping area and being tread on, the yarrow I started from seed last year survived!
This skirt is made from an upcycled poly-cotton blend hand-me-down sheet that did not fit my bed. It is the first piece I have made in my 2019 fabric use-up project!
It is nice and full. Here, it is pictured over top of my 2018 floral print petticoat and newly-made hip pads to achieve a 1700s silhouette.
Last year, I pared my 3 boxes of fabric down to 2. This year, I plan to bring the 2 boxes down to 1. It’s likely that many of the projects will be historical clothing and home goods. I’ve already gone through and started planning out a couple of the garments that I can make with what is available to me.
Last fall, I trimmed a weeping willow tree. There weren’t quite enough sticks to make wreaths, so I stuck some of them into the ground to see if they’d sprout roots, as I’ve read this is a way to propagate/clone trees. While the other types of branches I tried this on failed, the willow was successful. Here are my tiny new willow trees!
Here are photos from the first daffodil bloom of the year. I was so happy to see these first flowers.
In 2018, I was given quite a few tablecloths and bedlinens to re-use, however, they didn’t really suit my needs as-is. (Wrong size sheets and I don’t really use tablecloths.) Rather than waste the fabrics (they all had mild stains that made them un-donatable. Nobody wants a stained item from a thrift store), I decided to re-use them…eventually.